Quotes :)

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A True Hero

One year ago the world lost a very inspirational man. My Grandpa Jack Lloyd Oram. He passed away on June 6, 2010. It's hard to believe that it's really been a year already. I remember it like it was yesterday. My dad telling me that he was struggling, and we needed to go up north for a few days, possibly to say goodbye. It killed me. I bawled and bawled. I had had plans already, but knew that for some reason, I needed to make that trip. I hated the thought that it might really be the last time I'd see my dear Grandpa. He was a true hero.

Seeing him lying there in that hospital bed was one of the hardest things for me to bear. Not coherent, unable to respond. He didn't look comfortable, happy, like himself at all. Holding his unresponsive hand, squeezing to say hello, and him not squeezing back. It was an emotional couple of days. A roller coaster of thinking he wasn't going to make it, then thinking he was going to be just fine and would recover, back and forth for two days. But, the end result wasn't positive. He left us at 11:54 in the morning. After taking out the breathing tubes and disconnecting the machines, he fought it out for a few minutes. Took a few deep, surviving breaths. Such a hard moment for us all, watching this man whom we all loved deeply, fight for his own life, knowing what the outcome would be; and telling him that it was okay, he could move on. Then... it stopped. And we knew he was gone. The pain was almost unbearable. He was the greatest man I've ever known. I still learn from him today. He cared for and loved everyone. He was open-minded, accepting, loving, sweet, funny... but most of all, he was just himself. He didn't let other people control his life, or tell him who he was or needed to be. He was his own person. And I respect him so much.

Grandpa loved to hear me sing. He was so supportive. "Good job, babe!" he'd say to me with a huge grin on face, as he gave me a big hug. Everytime. Even if he never expressed it, I know that he believed in me, and would be my number one fan. I know that he was proud, and still is, and will be when my dream comes true. I wish so badly that he was still here, to watch me grow, see me progress, meet my future family, and watch me perform. I know he'll still be watching over me from wherever he's at, but I wish I could see that addicting smile again, get that warm greeting, that loving hug. I loved spending time with him. You were always in for a good laugh when he was around. Funniest man to exist.

Any person you ask that knew Grandpa would tell you the same thing. He truly was the most kind, respectful, loving, humorous human being you could meet. He befriended and respected all, and with his radiant personality, it wasn't hard to WANT to be his friend. Everyone loved being around good ole gramps. All my close friends knew Grandpa, would go over and visit, get some fudge at Christmas time and be sure to say hello whenever they went to Granny Annies. He was sure to be there every time. He practically lived there, sharing his daily cup or two of coffee with his buddies. Wish I could've gone and shared a cup of coffee with him before he left. I had a special connection with Grandpa. One that no one else shared, but me. On his 64th Birthday, April 22, 1992... he received a very special gift. His first granddaughter. Me. All my cousins are boys on that side of the family. 6 grandsons, then they had me. They got two more girls after that, my sisters. And of course, two more boys, the twins. But I still feel like the special girl. ;) Sharing a birthday with Grandpa was such an honor, and I always felt a special connection to him because of it. I loved getting a phone call from him saying "Happy Birthday Babe!" and I'd say "Thanks Grandpa, you too!" and we'd laugh and joke about how old he was. I looked forward to that every year. This past year was hard. Grandma came to visit, but Grandpa wasn't here. It felt like something was missing. Which, it was. It's still hard to believe that he's really gone. Sometimes I still expect to see him, or get a call from him. Then I wake up, reality hits me, and realize that he really is gone.

I miss Grandpa more than anything. I lost my hero, my friend, my grandpa, my mentor. He continues to inspire and teach me today. I know he's looking out for me. I love you Gramps! Hope you're still proud of your first granddaughter.


This is dear, sweet Grandpa Jack, with his classic addicting smile. :) He was always so happy. Thanks for everything you did, Gramps. You left a legacy, and are remembered by all. Love you so much. Continue to rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment